MANILA, March 12, (Agencies): The Philippines Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) Secretary Alan Peter S. Cayetano has praised the progress made by the governments of the Philippines and Kuwait during bilateral talks to protect the Filipino workers in Kuwait, says businessmirror.com.ph However, he expressed hopes what he called ‘practical measures’ will be crafted to ensure the safety and welfare of these migrant Filipino workers.
He went on to say, “Our negotiations with Kuwait have so far been going well, but we need to put in place “more practical measures.” Cayetano also commended officials from the Philippine Embassy in Kuwait and the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) for convincing their Kuwaiti counterparts to agree to the conditions laid down by Duterte shortly after he imposed the ban.
The DFA official said the negotiation panel, headed by Labor Secretary Silvestre H. Bello III and Ambassador Renato Villa was able to secure Kuwait’s commitment that would guarantee a minimum monthly salary of 120 Kuwaiti dinars for domestic workers, allowed them to hold their passports and mobile phones, at least eight hours of rest per day and work limited to one household.
This is in addition to depositing their salaries in their bank accounts whenever feasible to ensure their salaries will not be shortchanged and will receive what they originally signed for and allowing them to file complaints directly with the Kuwaiti authorities.
This will help the DFA to recommend to President Rodrigo Duterte to lift the ban which was slapped after the body of a 29-year-old Filipino maid was found in the freezer of a Kuwait apartment more than a year after her employers had left the country, said gulfbusiness.com The Philippines had first announced a ban on sending its workers to Kuwait after several cases of domestic workers being driven to suicide by abuse were highlighted. via Arabtimesonline